Each diocese, ecclesiastical province, and General Synod may apply for a total of three building/program grants per year. A maximum of two applications per diocese will be considered at a single application deadline. Theological colleges may apply for one building/program grant per year. For a list of recent grants by diocese, click here.
PLEASE NOTE: As of July 1, 2017 the Anglican Foundation will no longer receive applications for multi-year funding. Any multi-year applicants who have already been approved for a grant may still submit the Application for Subsequent Year of Funding form at the next appropriate deadline. No new applications for multi-year funding will be accepted.
Detailed information regarding the application process is provided below.
- Contact your diocese and/or the Anglican Foundation to confirm that your region’s annual application quotas have not already been reached. A maximum of two applications per diocese will be considered at a single application deadline. One application from each theological college may be submitted each year.
- Present an outline of the project to the diocesan Property Committee (or other relevant committee) for its consideration. It is hoped that this committee will recommend your project to the diocesan council.
- Obtain episcopal and diocesan endorsement for the project. Both the diocesan bishop and the diocesan council must endorse the application in writing.
- Seek diocesan financial assistance. The Anglican Foundation expects applicants to request financial assistance from the diocese prior to submitting their application.
- Secure at least 50% of the project’s funding. The applicant is expected to have a minimum of 50% of funding in place prior to submission of an application. Details of this funding must be reported in section 4.5 of the application.
- Verify the application submission deadline. All applications must arrive at the Foundation office no later than the application deadline date set by the Board of Directors. Applications submitted after the deadline date will be reviewed during the subsequent application session.
- Use the designated form. All applications must be submitted on the official application form, which may be downloaded above. Please ensure that you have answered all questions completely, and that you have secured all of the necessary signatures requested on the final page of the application form.
- Prepare a comprehensive project budget for section 4.5. All applications must include a one-page budget, including full details of diocesan, governmental, community, and ecumenical financial support for the project as well as a detailed list of expected expenditures.
- Supply all the required supporting material listed in sections 3.3 and 3.4—3.6 (depending on the category). Pictures, brochures, and other supporting material may be included to assist the Directors in assessing the merits of the application.
- Include both required letters of support listed in section 5.1 of the application form. Any application without BOTH letters of support will be disqualified from consideration.
- Submit one (1) copy of each application and all supporting material. Applications submitted electronically must still be followed by a physical copy, to be supplied at the expense of the applicant.
- “Will the Foundation confirm receipt of our application?”
The Anglican Foundation will send an email confirming receipt of an application as soon as possible upon the application’s arrival in our office, usually after the application deadline.
- “How long will we have to wait to find out if the application was approved?”
You should receive word regarding your application’s status (approved, declined, or deferred) within two weeks following the meeting at which the Board of Directors considered your application.
- “Our application has been deferred. Now what do we do?”
An application is deferred for one of two reasons:
1. The Anglican Foundation may not have received the application before the deadline; in this case, the application will automatically be deferred until the next scheduled meeting of the Board of Directors, and you need do nothing.
2. Further information may be required before the Board of Directors can make a decision. In this event, the Foundation office will contact you to request the required information.
- “Can we resubmit our declined application for future consideration?”
No. Once the Board of Directors has considered and declined an application, the application cannot be reactivated.
- “Our grant application was approved. When can we expect to receive the funds?”
You will receive an official letter and a Memorandum of Agreement for Grant Recipients within approximately two weeks following the meeting of the Board of Directors. In order for funds to be released, the recipient needs to complete the Memorandum, indicating the project dates, and return it to the Foundation. AFC will not release any funds greater than 90 days prior to the project start date.
- “Our loan application was approved. Will we receive the funds right away?”
If your loan application is approved, we will include a repayment schedule and the form Undertaking for Repayment of a Loan with the letter announcing the application’s success. Once we receive your completed copy of the form of undertaking, a void cheque, and a letter authorizing monthly debit withdrawals, we will disburse the funds. If a grant was also approved, it will be disbursed with the loan in a single cheque.
- “How often do we need to make a loan repayment?”
All new loans are repayable in equal monthly installments, plus interest (calculated at the current rate set by the Board of Directors). A Schedule of Repayment will be provided. All payments will be debited by automatic withdrawal on the 25th day of each month; the first installment will be withdrawn on the 25th day of the month following the disbursement of the funds.
- “Can we make lump-sum payments against our loan?”
Repayments are amortized over a period of up to 30 years to match the budget of the borrower. Lump-sum payments may be made at any time without notice or penalty.
- “What are my responsibilities after receiving a grant from the Foundation?”
1. All grant recipients must properly acknowledge the Foundation through the use of its logo in all print and electronic promotional and informational materials associated with the project.
2. All grant recipients must submit a formal report once the project or program is completed. The Grant Recipient Report may be submitted by email and should be accompanied by digital pictures, where possible.
3. Grant recipients are encouraged to maintain their annual contribution to the Anglican Foundation in order that other organizations may benefit as they have.
Application deadlines each year are April 1 and September 1.
Applicants are required to submit one (1) printed copy of the completed application package and supporting information. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please mail or email your application to the address listed below.
The Anglican Foundation of Canada
80 Hayden Street
Toronto, ON M4Y 3G2
If you have any questions about the application process, please consult the detailed information above or contact the Foundation office by telephone at (416) 924-9199 (ext. 322).